綜合英語 一、 apply ignore avoid negative behaviour culture bore secure highly tend 1. The sort of music he listens to varies, but it tends to be popular music. 2. Language is the medium of culture , and when we learn a foreign language, we are exposed to a culture quite different from ours.
3. Scientific discoveries are often applied to industrial process. 4. I hope you are not getting bored listening to me. 5. Can you secure me two good seats for the concert?
6. This is a highly amusing film. You'll regret if you miss it.
7. He gave a negative answer to my request. I felt quite confused and disappointed.
8. She was annoyed by the young man's impolite behaviour .
9. Ever since that unhappy incident, I have tried to avoid any further conflict with him.
10. The driver ignored the traffic light, and as a result, he ran into another car. adjust relax depress relieve handle social leisure stress maintain vital 1. She is very busy; she doesn’t have much leisure time. 2. He is under a lot of stress ,because his wife is very ill.
3. He has adjust himself very quickly to changes in culture when he came to of the country.
4. What about going to the concert with me? The music will help you relax . 5. Your support is vital to the success of my plan.
6. The thought of having to take the examination again depressed me. 7. A little social drinking does no harm; but don’t drink too much. 8. The drug relieved my toothache. It was really effective. 9. It was a difficult situation but he handled it very well.
10. To maintain a happy mood is very important in one’s study and work. aspect recommend participate investigate hesitate undertake inquiry resource intend economical 1.The channel tunnel (英吉利海峽隧道) is one of the biggest engineering projects ever undertaken .
2.He took it as an insult (侮辱) which wasn't at all what I had intended .
3.As a freshman, you should get to know campus resources as soon as possible and make good use of them.
4.He had made many inquiries into the quality of the computer before buying one.
5.The police investigated many cases by following the footprints (腳印) left at the scene of the crime.
6.I'm thinking of buying a car. Can you recommend a good make (牌子) to me? 7.Not only does Mary attend class regularly, but she also participates in extracurricular activities frequently.
8.With the rapid development of the economy, all aspects of our life have changed a great deal.
9.Tom is such a nice guy. He will not hesitate a moment to offer help when you are in trouble.
10.This system is extremely (非常地) economical because it runs on half-price electricity. addition creative conclusion appropriate authority homesick decisive assign carve outcome 1.After they had arrived at the campus, a girl was assigned to guide them on a tour of the halls.
2.In conclusion , we all hoped that more activities like this could be organized.
3.He was a well-known author who had created many unforgettable characters in his novels.
4.The injury to their key player could be a decisive factor in the game.
5.Don's you think that the Oxford English Dictionary is an authority on English words?
6.To be a top student, you need diligence and persistence in addition to intelligence. 7.As he has been to America for 3 years now, he is homesick for China.
8.Don's be too dressy. Plain, simple clothes are appropriate for school wear.
9.There were not many people who dared predict the outcome of the World Cup 2002.
10.You are not supposed to carve your name on the tree in the park. issue massive bond overnight contribution relevant compete supervise valuable revel 1,Your advice at present would be exceedingly valuable to me in my research. 2.These two substances won't bond together at this temperature or pressure.
3.Preparations were made overnight for an early start to the countryside the next morning.
4.Although there were only 4 horses competing , it was an exciting race. 5.The next big issue confronting the workers is the increase of wages. 6.She always revels in meeting new friends or making new acquaintances.
7.The invention of the telephone was a great contribution to human communication.. 8.Several strong men were needed to open and close the massive gates to the castle. 9.My experience of being a volunteer was quite relevant to the job I was doing at that time.
10.One evening, when there were no staff to supervise him, he walked out of the
hospital. accompany initiative adventure essential ease obviously enthusiasm talent security launch 1.Peter was deeply impressed both by Shelley's personality and by her talent . 2.One of the essential qualifications for entering this company is to hold a master's degree.
3.The trip to Florida was an adventure for Helen.
4.All the students closed their books. Obviously they were ready to leave the boring class.
5.One day his father accompanied him to his school because of the heavy rain. 6.The government has launched a new plan to build more houses. 7.The retired couple lived a life of ease . .
8.He did not have the initiative to start his own business.
9.At busy intersections policemen can provide security for pedestrian (行人)crossing the street.
10.He showed great enthusiasm in pursuing new knowledge.
1. They normally hang out in the pub to kill time.
2. I've been trying to check out the restaurants in my new neighborhood to find the best one.
3. Bob took a part-time job giving out handbills (傳單) for a cosmetic (化妝品) company.
4. Back from the holiday, she eagerly threw herself into the production of a new film.
5. I immersed myself in work so as to stop thinking about her.
6. The country went through too many wars, causing great suffering and poverty. 7. I lost my job, and the rise in power costs added to our difficulties. 8. The scandal led to the resignation (辭職) of the President. 9. I can not get by on such a small salary.
10. I can not figure out why she said she no longer loved me. 11.My CD player is beeping, for the battery is running low .
12.It turned out that the kids had spent the whole day playing video games. .
13.She was the only woman to participate in the experiment and was among the few volunteers (志愿者) who died from it.
14.People teach the computer to think and as a result , develop and sharpen their own reasoning abilities.
15.This kind of digital TV is considered the best that has been made so far in our country.
16.Later they decided that they should make full use of their natural resources. 17.I was told that he was good-tempered and easy to get along with .
18.His parents receive letters from him every week; he never fails to write.
19.They have given us a lot of help in keeping up with what's going on around us.
20.The hotel itself can accommodate 80 guests and, in addition , there are several apartments with kitchens.
21.They are living in perfect harmony with each other. 22. He went to see the headmaster on his own initiative .
23. I hope you'll contribute to our appeal for money to help homeless children.
24. Mr. Smith is regarded by many students as one of the best lecturers in the Faculty of Education.
25. You must accustom yourself to be more at your ease when you are with people. 26.The children reveled in the simple pleasures of country life.
27.After the flood in 1998, many students wanted to take part in the activities to help the victims.
28.I took careful notes which later stood me in good stead on the exam.
29. What we discussed in class last week was relevant to the TV program we had watched before.
30.Good teachers use a wide range of methods to motivate their students. 三、
1. 這鋼琴有些不對勁，但是我無法說清楚。 (put one's finger on)
Something is wrong with the piano, but I can't put my finger on what it is. 2.這條褲子不但太大，而且也與我的夾克不相配。(apart from)
Apart from being too large, the trousers don't match my jacket, either. 3. 不論理由是什么，反正我喜歡流行音樂。 (whatever) I love pop music, for whatever reasons.
4. 他對外國文化懷有濃厚的興趣，經常博覽群書以尋找有用的信息。 (browse through)
He has great interest in foreign cultures, often browsing through piles of books to look for any useful information.
5. 在是否要創辦一個新社團的問題上，我們意見很不一致。(vary) Opinions on whether we should open up a new society vary a great deal. 6. 要去那座島，除了搭船以外，別無他法。 (other than) You can't get to the island other than by boat.
7. 有些學生瘋狂地迷戀流行音樂，而另外一些人則更喜歡經典音樂(classical)。 (while)
Some students are crazy about pop music while others prefer classical music. 8. 傳媒 (media) 在引領時尚方面正起著越來越重要的作用。 (play a ... role) The media are playing an increasing role in leading clothing fashions.
9. 我千方百計想弄到一張他新發行(issue)的唱片(album)，卻未能如愿。(try every means)
I tried every means to get a copy of his newly issued album, but failed.
10. 要是沒有朋友的鼓勵和幫助，我可能已經輟學了。 (If ... not / Without) Without the encouragement and help of my friends, I would have quit school. 11. 我已經把我的簡歷和附函傳真給了那家公司，但尚未收到回復。(resume,
cover letter, fax)
I have faxed my resume and a cover letter to that company, but I haven't received a reply yet.
12.當別人遇到困難時，約翰會毫不猶豫地提供幫助。(not hesitate for a second) John will not hesitate for a second to offer help when others are in trouble.
13. 我得承認我很想到國外工作和學習一段時間，但我知道要拿到簽證不容易。(admit, abroad, visa)
I have to admit that I desire very much to work or study abroad for some time but I know it is not easy to get a visa.
14. 他到倫敦2年后才在一家國際銀行找到一份工作。(It was not until ... that ...) It was not until 2 years after he arrived in London that he found / took a job in an international bank.
15. 湯姆完成他的教學工作后，在中國周游了2個月才回到美國的家。(travel throughout, before)
After finishing his teaching, Tom traveled throughout China for 2 months before returning home in America.
16. 這是大學一年級新生第一次聽美國教授的講座，他們在頭20分鐘里聽不太懂他在說什么。(have trouble doing sth.)
It was the first time for the freshmen to attend an American professor's lecture, and they had trouble understanding what he was talking about for the first twenty minutes.
17. 還剩10分鐘，既然你已經做完考題，也可以現在交卷。(now that)
There are still ten minutes left. Now that you have finished your test you may hand it in now.
18. 為了不傷害任何人的感情，他們花了近3個月的時間才作出最后決定。(it took ... before)
It took them nearly three months before they made their final decisions without hurting anybody's feelings.
19. 要趕上世界先進科學技術，中國大學生在畢業前至少應學好一門外語。(it is appropriate..., keep up with)
It is appropriate for Chinese college students to learn at least one foreign language before they graduate so that they can keep up with the world advanced science and technology.
20. 史密斯先生是一個勤奮的電影導演，同時也是一個有責任心的父親。(at the same time)
Mr. Smith was a hard-working movie director and at the same time he was a responsible father.
21. 我不知道事情會變成這樣。(little do I know...) Little did I know that thing would turn out like that.
22. 他并不想買車，但是我說服他買了一輛。(be keen on) He wasn't keen on buying a car, but I talked him into it.
23. 成為2008 年北京奧運會志愿者隊伍中的一員將會是我一生中難得的經歷。(a once-in-a-lifetime experience)
Being a volunteer in the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games would be a
once-in-a-lifetime experience for me.
24. 吸煙是導致肺癌的主要因素。(contributing to)
Cigarette smoking is a major factor contributing to lung cancer. 25. 這兩所大學下個月將聯合舉行藝術表演。(stage)
The two universities will unite to stage an art show next month. 26. 北京將于2008 年舉辦第29 屆夏季奧運會。(host)
Beijing will host the 29th Summer Olympic Games in the year of 2008. 27. 充足的新鮮空氣有助于身體健康。(contribute to) Plenty of fresh air contributes to good health.
28. 無論發生什么情況， 他就是一言不發。 (no matter what) No matter what happened, he would not say a word.
29. 我從她那兒得知， 你還從事另一項重要的工作。(as well)
I learned from her that you undertook another important job as well. 30. 我渴望有機會參加2008年北京奧運會志愿者活動。(participate in)
I long to have the opportunity of participating in the 2008 Beijing volunteer activities.